FARU FARU....... A place of Rebirth (part 1)


Reminisce :A time to  remind us of the path we have walked... A reminder  of  the journey  ahead..... The  various  heights  to  conquer.
Watching the  premiere of the  2nd season of  the series, Sons of  the  Caliphate last Night on  Ebony live TV opened flood  of  memories; my  mandatory one year NYSC  service  in  Sokoto. It made me  recall the  royal grandeur, grace and  glory of  the  Sokoto  caliphate. The rich  cultural milieu, the  sights and  sounds of the  state, the  warm, generous ,generally amazing  people and  other things  that  made  Sokoto a cultural jewel of  the Savannah. Not forgetting  the  era   that  marked  the  beginning of a change  in  my narrative  ..... A place  where my luck turned  around.
My  NYSC posting  came  at  a time when  every thing  that  could  go  wrong  in  my  life  went wrong, my  family ran into  bouts of  ill  luck and  when  I thought  it  couldn't get any  worse..... I got  posted to  Sokoto(Sokoto bawo?).
I didn't even  have any emotions left to process the  news, I was numbed, strangely  aloof..... I was detached. Somehow in  the maze of  the  desolation I knew  the show  had  to  go  on.
As  an  alumnus of  university  of  Ibadan that  lived in  Queens hall all  her  days  in  the  University, I had  earlier on  in life master  the  rudiments of  branding;  image(packaging)is paramount.
I proceeded to  yaba  to  sort myself  out (baffs and  sneakers  wise) and by  the  time  I was  through I was  flat  broke  save for  my  transport  fare  to Sokoto.....but  my  aesthetics game  was  tight as  hell.....
I remembered boarding a Young  Shall  Grow  Bus  @ Iddo  Motor  park, with my  travel bag fitted smugly around my  shoulders,  I dived head on into  destiny.
I was  vaguely aware  of  Corp  members  trying  to socialize  with  one  another in  the bus but  I couldn't  be  bothered  I was properly  medicated  throughout  the journey.
After  what  felt  like  an  eternity(and I'm not even exaggerating o), packed like that  kinta  kunte slave  ship. The  bus  finally stopped   in front of the Farufaru Orientation Camp.
Getting  down from the  bus.... It  hit me..... The  Sun hit  me!! Then  and  there  I wondered   if  I was  going to   die of  heat stroke  or meningitis.....

After  a short while,  the  accreditation started  and  the  queue was  endless. Thankfully enough, I began to  spot  familiar faces  from  school, kiakia I move  towards  the  familiar  faces and  with  that  I was  able  to  shunt  the  queue  effectively. Soon  enough  bed space allocation began and  since  I didn't resume on the first  day  of  camp, all the  spaces  in  the  main  hostel were  taken remaining only  makeshift hostel. As I joined  the  queue to  collect my  mattress...... I heard  someone  yell  out  my  name! Couldn't  believe  my  luck, as it turned  out  to  be  fehintola, whom   I went  to  primary  school  with.
Fehintola resumed  Camp  a day  before and  had  gotten  one  of  the  best bed spaces in  camp with  fan.... Sharp sharp I just  collected my mattress and  squatted  with her for  the  next  three  weeks.
Farufaru  camp was  one of the most  porous camp then ..... So corpers didn't  have  problems  leaving  the camp  for breathers,  (there  was  no  fence  sef.....) Once  things  got  stressful  you  could  just  take  a stroll  out  to  town. The  soldiers were  quite friendly so  there  was  unspoken  mutual  understanding /agreement.
As  a wonder working God  that  God  is, we were  paid bicycle allowance  the  2nd day   of  camp and  the governor of  the  state showed some  of  his generosity by  giving us money...... and  at  this point  I begin  to suspect....maybe.... Just maybe good  fortune is beginning  to shine on  me.
I didn't  bother  with  the morning drills.... I found  it really  strange and  even  more disturbing when  I saw female  Corp members as  early  as 5am with  full facebeat ;eyebrows  on  fleek  out  for  the morning drills (did I forget  to  mention  that the  sun rises  by 4am in  sokoto?).
OK!! maybe  a little exaggeration......
              (To  be continued...)



Comments

Mutiat Jimoh said…
That makeup things at the wee hours of the morning is what I don't understand at some ladies. Some ladies sha... well done babes
Omololu famro said…
Looooool @facebeat,sun rising by 4a.m cant stop laffing . I am so waiting for the continuation of this gists
@iya ileonkan always on fleek

Popular posts from this blog

A twist in the Tale: Baba Ifeanyi 's story

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

My Harmattan Christmas