Maputo memoirs (part 2)

Since every country in Africa always insist that they have the friendliest people in the Continent, I'm just going to go with that flow.
But in all honesty ,Mozambicans are very warm people.Though not as animated as my naija folks but their hospitality, interests and smiles the people extended to me as a visitor (abi tourist) made it a remarkable experience in the country.
Maputo train station

Though Portuguese is widely spoken,most Mozambicans I came in contact with were able to communicate in English ,often times in smattering English and in all  my interactions with the people ,the intriguing and curious case of Mr kerebou clearly stood out.

Mr kerebou,who owns a grocery shop around the corner, always  (strongly) insist that he doesn't understand English, but at  few times when he gets carried away, his English vocabulary, diction and that American accent are usually (almost suspiciously) impeccable that I often ponder ...abi homeboy is on some witness protection program ni ?(Now im not even going to lie that this thought doesn't keep me awake in the night sometimes).
statue of samora machel

Mozambique is a fast developing country that has the normal concerns associated  with developing  countries yet its electric power distribution is seamless ,unarguably flawless.  Throughout my month stay in Maputo the light didn't blink for once .Even in the face of that insanely wild and strong windy rain(more like tempest) on Christmas day, the lights didn't go out.

One of the cultural shock I however experienced when I visited the town newly,was the minimalistic fashion culture of the people of Maputo.The unfussy and understated fashion sense of the Maputo residents came as a bit  a shock as I attempted to storm  the town with my"pepperdem "shenanigans.
 I didn't need to be told that I stood  out like a sore thumb.I quickly pruned my fashion statements.

One of the highlights of the visit for me was the visit to the  Museu de historian natural Maputo.It was totally remarkable, the whole ambience of the museum was so creepy ....so real like a real jungle, the jungle sound in the background lend more credence .it took quite a bit of convincing that the animals are mostly paper mache before I agreed to look around.


Museum de historia natural 

Maputo has a lot restaurants that serve amazing fresh sea foods.The Portuguese  culinary influence with sea foods like lobster, spicy crabs, tiger prawns makes even the basic dishes vibrant with rich flavours. There are also quite a number of Italian restaurants around the polana area.



Dhow restaurant


December in Mozambique is summer time and Mozambicans are not big on Christmas. The yuletide period is not as commercialized in the country. Only a few Christmas decorations adorned streets of Maputo, they barely acknowledge the holiday ,there was no public holiday on boxing day sef.

The new year day celebration, however was on another level,almost like scenes from Hollywood.
Even as a" Lagos girl" I was gobsmacked ....Mozambicans can blow bangers sha, I'm not talking about the normal banger, knockout or even bisco lights.
I'm talking of well coordinated/orchestrated intricate display of fireworks that went on for almost an hour, as it echoed around the metropolis of Maputo.

Mozambique indeed ticked all boxes of a dream beach escape;pristine coastline,crystal clear water as you hear the ocean waves throbbing.
Macaneta beach

Cabin chalet at Tan ñ biki resort Macaneta


Huge indebtness  to the Maputo and its residents for their warm embrace, for the insights into their struggles, beauty and cultural heritage.... àte nos vermos novament Maputo.


Comments

Nifemi. O said…
Love love love this! Now I have to visit this gorgeous country! Well done girl!!!! Cheers or shall I say kudos����
Nifemi. O said…
Love love love this! Now I have to visit this gorgeous country! Well done girl!!!! Cheers or shall I say kudos����
Abosedenimi said…
You've done a great job wetting my appetite the more. Keep it up girl.
Christnkids said…
Obrigado senorita
Anonymous said…
I had exactly the same experience in my one week visit to Maputo. Would love to go back soon. Totally loved every minute of it
Iyale-ookan said…
@ Lola A .....obrigada uma medica
Omololu famro said…
@iya Ile onkan am sure your your visits didn't go unnoticed by the Mozambicans am sure theyhave a lasting impression of how Nigerians are always sooo on point.cant wait to read more!!!

Popular posts from this blog

A twist in the Tale: Baba Ifeanyi 's story

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

My Harmattan Christmas