CRAZY RICH ASIANS


I finally got to watch the blockbuster movie Crazy Rich Asians, I was prolly the last person in Lagos to see this movie,So I binge watched this movie over the weekend and by Monday morning, everybody I mean every dude (including Lastma officers) was starting to look like Henry Golding (the hunky leading man) in my eyes.
Being a movie buff I can't really tell why I waited this long to see this movie that was released in the summer of 2018, my most likely guess will be probably because of the alternate casting as I rarely do Asian movies.
Now folks, I would like to state that I saw this movie for the first time in the morning and I wasn't under any influence (not even the lagos fierce sun) meaning that since I watched this movie with "clear eyes" you might want to take my opinion about this well written and well  produced movie seriously. Well just saying....

Crazy Rich Asians is a zesty rom-com adaptation of Kevin Kwan 's bestseller book "Asians" and directed by Mr Chu.It is an all Asian cast ensemble lead by Henry Golding,Constance wu and Michelle Yeoh and supported by Ken Jeong and Akwafina amongst other brilliant actors.
With a budget of 30million dollars, the movie turned out to be a resounding  success as it reportedly grossed over 238.5million dollars at the box office. Its global acceptance definitely reaffirms that alternate casting doesn't really mean narrower audience.
The plot in this movie leans towards the conventional classic romantic set up,the story line is "Cinderella-esque" but subtly defiant and really educative. More like an Asian rehatch of Cinderella story dripping in all shades of finesse .... Or let's just say Cinderella story on steroids.

The story follows Rachel Wu (played  by  Constance Wu) an American-chinese economics professor who travels with boyfriend Nick (played by Henry Golding) to his native home in Singapore for his best friend's wedding. Unknown to Rachel her well chiseled (fine ass) boyfriend Nick is from a stupendously wealthy family not only,that he is the heir to that wealth staggering empire, he is also unarguably the most eligible bachelor in Asia. The movie mirrored the lovebirds' struggles especially with Nick's disapproving mom (played by Michelle Yeoh), also contending with family, friends which included the eccentric,the colorful and the really outlandish ones dealing with their own problems.

This beautiful love story leaves you with this brand new feeling of unexpected euphoria reaffirming love isn't all we need... but love is all there is.
The Rich Crazy Asian is not only super hillarious but a keen portrayal of Asian culture. Asians telling their own story with universal appeal. This movie was specific in its cultural representation and exploration at the same time correcting cultural stereotypes like Asian appeal and masculinity. Who knew our Asian brothers were that fine ??? This movie might not change the world but it definitely changed the way l view Asian dudes now.
             
The cast and story is flawless,the characters in this movie are not your seemingly rich folks o. They are the next level, insanely, preposterously wealthy. The movie X-rayed the different tiers of the rich and asserts that for the truly affluent people, it isn't about the blings but class and pedigree.

Chinko folks didn't come to play in this movie rara o. It wasn't just a movie it was a movement that paid tributes to the Chinese culture,tradition, fashion, food while throwing in few geography and history lessons, as we were provided with the ample opportunity to learn about the unbelievably beautiful country that will make Singapore top on your bucket list. Starting from the Changi Airport that looks like paradise to the colorful visually stimulating and mouth watering food scenes. (since I have watched the movie I have carried my mat and relocated to that Chinese restaurant in Ikeja.)
Although there were jaw-dropping scenes like the aerial view of Nick childhood Estate, the bachelor party on a pimped out container ship in the middle of the ocean, with all the guests arriving by helicopters, shopping sprees to the spa on an Indonesian island and so on,the most iconic scene from the movie will be the wedding scene, especially the  bride entrance....That has to be the most stunning and incredibly amazing wedding ever shown on screen.


Before the movie l had thought as a renowned (international) owanbe crooner and having seen all the episodes of Top Nigerian weddings on Fox life,I had seen it all but the scene revolutionalized that thought.
When the bride started walking in on water...I LOST IT !!!. It will be really hard to describe that state of utopia ; that moment everything stood still with  bride gliding through, so magical, so idyllic and enthralling.
I had goose bumps repeatedly for 30mins watching that scene, a week later my heart is still doing me somehow and my eyes are still doing "shana shana"(I wouldn't even try to interpret that) from viewing so much opulence, glitz and razzmatazz.
Move over Cinderella... This is it ! .

A seriously enjoyable movie that is strong in its theme about romance and love.
Honestly I think I have seen this movie like a million times that I deserve to be in its sequel. It's really a  feel good movie that raised so many thoughts provoking questions like
1..Did I put chewing gum in my eyes not to have noticed that Asian "brodas" fine gan ?
2..Should I start saving up for my Singapore trip ?
3..Abi should I start considering the option of an Asian son -in-law ?

Photo crédit.. google images

Comments

See u.u just dey watch am. A very interesting movie. Enjoyed every minute of it. Am also nt a fan of asian movies but love dis one.
Unknown said…
I love the movie...Beautiful piece, well done. I am very the writter or director will be proud.😍
Unknown said…
I love the movie...Beautiful piece, well done. I am very sure the writter or director will be proud.😍

Popular posts from this blog

A twist in the Tale: Baba Ifeanyi 's story

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

My Harmattan Christmas