Daddy

Happy birthday daddy. I'm sure 70 would have looked great on you.We still ache because the pang your death left in our hearts is still raw.We don't know how to heal but we are trying our best to learn how to live with the pain as time and self understanding helps numb the pain.

One of my fondest memories of my dad was he introducing me to astronomy and planetology. He was such a consummate story teller, one of the finest orators that ever lived.
His  stories were well prepared and relayed with so much passion,crafted with so much creativity that they transported me to other planets. His voice activated my imagination and it exploded. His stories nurtured and fed  my imagination. I didn't think there was any 7 yearold alive that was obsessed about the inner workings of the earth and the other planets as I was.
I literally knew how many moons each planets each had and as an introverted kid the Milky way and Asteroids were my playground.I remembered how I begged for a telescope as a birthday gift,he didn't get the telescope but he got me a pair of binoculars instead and with little imagination I made it work.
I was so sure I was going to be an astronaut .... well that the didn't quite happen.

I still tell my kids these stories and I'm ecstatic they are obsessed as well.I knew you will be happy and smiling down when mbebi renamed her favourite teddy from Mr Ajadi to Yuri gagarin.(I think she is going to be an astronaut).
Daddy you didn't live forever but we are sure your legacy will definitely live forever. You made us realise it's not the length of life but depth of life. Thanks for the being the best dad ever!

N:B..since you left daddy, they (NASA)said we now have eight planets.
They said  Pluto is no longer a planet o. So I guess I have to come up with another mnemonic as "My Very Eye Must Just See Under Nine Planet "....wont work again. Before I forget the NASA folks have marked really cool milestones ,the coolest being the robotic spacecraft observing the outer corona of the sun(l bet you knew that already).


 We know your death is not the end of your Life but the beginning of your eternal journey... Your next great adventure because we see you amongst the constellations of stars and we take immense solace that you are still shining down at us.
It's never goodbyes for those we love because they will always live in our hearts. Happy Father's Day. Not all heroes wear capes. 
This is hoping you are having a swell time with the angels ....So long daddy.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hmmm!So long Daddy. We really miss him.
Glammie said…
Always a good read. Continue to rest I. Peace sir.
Omololu famro said…
Miss you daddy!!! Happy post humous birthday!!!
Mutiat Jimoh said…
Awww. Nice write dear. Sure your daddy is proud of you where ever he is.
Well written, probably you becoming a story teller like your dad...may daddy rest on.
Anonymous said…
Titilayo's twin. You are always remembered. Sleep on sir
Famro said…
Didun ni iranti olododo...may his soul continue to rest in peace. Amen.
Iyale ookan said…
Many thanks for all your warm regards.... Odun ajina si ra
Oluwaruthey said…
Well written. Good work sis

Popular posts from this blog

A twist in the Tale: Baba Ifeanyi 's story

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

My Harmattan Christmas