Self Isolation Musings...state of my head

This self isolation thing be messing with my head. Awakening and provoking the hell out of my self awareness, making me question some certain life decisions, making me ponder πŸ€”πŸ€”abi my true calling is disc jockeying ni?; because I know music, I listen to music....hell yeah! I love music!!!.
In all sincerity I think l have the broadest taste in music. Well... maybe not the broadest but my taste in music is what oyinbos will call 'Uber eclectic". I'm a connoisseur when it comes to music from Billie holiday to Nonso Amadi, Buju Baton, Adam Levine,Wycleff, Aerosmith, Ed Sheeran, Orlando owoh, Kendrick Lamar, Hugh Masekela, kizz Daniel, Bruno Mars, Kwam 1 and so on.




My romance with music started during my diaper wearing days...scratch that....my nappy wearing days.
Growing up music was always around the house. Songs continually belted out from the phonograph and the radio. I was endlessly serenaded by Voices of Akin Euba, Dolly Parton, Louis Armstrong, the lijadu sisters, Art Alade, Hubert Ogunde and so on.
I remember how I was almost bursting at the seams with pride when Micro ade dedicated a track to my dad.




And as if all that music in the house wasn't enough, Baba lati who owned a record store across the road made sure he invaded our serenity and robbed us of our quietude with loud deafening songs. Although his two huge black speakers were across the road, he made it seem like they were under our pillows. Aaah🀯!!eti wa fe e be ( our eardrums almost imploded).
Baba Lati shovelled the music of Barrister, Orlando Owoh, Salawa Abeni, Kollington, Ayinla omowura, CAC good women choir and Comfort Omoge down our throats from dusk to dawn every waking day!!!.
 


He persecuted our tranquility, Baba Lati mastered the act and art of psychological warfare using music torture. He was so good at this mission folks at Guantanamo Bay could learn a few tricks from him. That man did us dirty gan ni o.
As time went by we adjusted to kadara(destiny), we even developed Stockholm syndrome, we always missed our oppressor on days his store wasn't open for business. We were like junkies constantly craving Baba lati's deafening medley fix.
We  made peace with the way life was and just as Shina Peters changed the tempo on the music scene and we were gearing to be choked with the new sound of Afro Juju, Baba lati then decide to metamorphose into a "born again"Muslim. Then a lot of things changed, most noticeably, he stopped playing secular music. His revolution against secular music birthed another level of tribulations. From dusk to dawn he played only Wasi (Yoruba Islamic lecture). He smothered us with these lectures and at a point I could compete favourably with awon omo Ile kewu(pupils of Koranic school) when it came to Surah( chapter in lslamic Scriptures).

Thankfully we had Channels 5,7,10 and LTV 8 to fulfill our music yearnings on a well modulated levels. The folks at these stations expanded our music genres repertoire by introducing us to sounds  from other African countries: Songs from Papa wemba, koffi olomide,Youssou n'dour, Brenda fassie and so on.
Brenda fassie

Papa Wemba

Fast forward to several years later I had become a contortionist, bending in any kind of way, from Fuji, Soul, RnB, house music, rap, pop, afro pop and sometimes heavy metal.... depending on the day of the week.
Nonso Amadi

During these covid 19 times, my body isolated but not my mind, l have had more than excess time to ponder, reflect and meditate on my life several times a day. I'm beginning to think ...could this covid saga be the universe whispering to me to redirect my career  path. Could  disc jockeying be some ethereal awakening for me to save the world from these present day cacophony often mistaken as music. Could it be my crusade of real music renaissance... just pondering ni o:-πŸ€”πŸ€”

Please keep Safe

Comments

Hilarious πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚please greet Baba Lati for me.
am still pondering too🀣
Adrenaline said…
Enjoyed reading this music inspired post. I trust the music is keeping you sane despite the despite the isolation. Excellent writing as always. Regarding a career path in DJing, perhaps remote DJing will be a thing post COVID-19. It is worth looking into😁. Remain inspired.
Anonymous said…
Chai...laughter all the way!!πŸ˜„ Good write up as usual.πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ But I think you’re more of a writer than DJ. You keep us captivated until the very last word of the last paragraph! Well done πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Omololu famro said…
Awnnnn babba latiiii.
@ iya Ile onkan we have missed you
Eniola Adetutu said…
Titilayo, you really remember the childhood experience wella, especially that Baba Lati's part. It's so deafening and also enjoyable. It's a sweet experience. As per chanelling your energy into music, I'll gladly want to listen to it.
Dearkayode said…
Lol at developing Stockholm syndrome but so true. I grew up in a face-me-I-face-you. Almost all of the men in the house loved music and as if in a competition, on Saturday mornings, everyone was playing their kind of music with their doors wide open while everyone was routinely doing some chores around the house. It used to be very annoying and confusing listening to the different sounds until I became indifferent to them. Fast forward years later, I found myself reminiscing with the different songs playing in my head.I didn't know how much of it was registering then... My wife still marvels at how I managed to learn/retain the lyrics of some of those old songs from the likes of King Sunny Ade, Yusuf Olatunji, Ayinla Omowura, Orlando Owoh, Ebenezer Obey, Elemure and the likes. It wasn't intentional, the baba Latis of life did that :)
Mutiat Jimoh said…
Let me name you "djteetee Reloaded" if you finally decide to be a disc Jockey. I know djcuppy gat nothing on you babe.

Popular posts from this blog

A twist in the Tale: Baba Ifeanyi 's story

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

My Harmattan Christmas