Black panther (My Wakanda waka)

 The buzz that heralded the latest Marvel's installment Black Panther was on another level that even folks living under the rocks had synopsis of the movie.
And in staying  true to the Yoruba proverb that states that when you hear "carry it " carry it" you had better join in the carrying or else someone will dump it in your backyard. Bearing this in mind I decided not carry last ...well...hypothetically.

My romance with Marvel Cinematic Universe  Films started in 2008 with its release of Iron man and have since then watched every single marvel installments. So it is safe to say I'm a marvel aficionado. As a Marvel fan, each movie release was greeted with the same enthusiasm and when I saw Ellen Degeneres's interview /trailer with  Chadwick Boseman and I saw a black man with "the chest" (ripped abs and well chiseled muscles) I knew immediately this was going to be a dope movie.
So as soon as the movie hit the Nigerian cinema I was set to see it.Early enough I set out to see the movie ,caught in this slow moving traffic,I heard a light tap on my car window, it was some dude selling Cds and Dvds in the traffic.As soon as the dude had my attention he brought out a bootleg copy of the black panther and offered it for sale.I couldn't decide what shocked me the most, the coincidence that I was going to see the movie or the speed/ velocity that our "brothers" have managed to pirate the movie.
Still stunned, the lane moved a bit and then I heard the second tap, the dude AGAIN! this time giving  me a short but animated preview of the movie. As a "woke" individual I wondered abi the universe is trying to tell me something ni ?

Okay! for the sakes of "Judginas"reading this and most importantly the copyright infringement board, I DIDNOT buy the bootleg copy o.Although it was so so tempting it took somewhat a miracle for me to mutter "get thee behind me dude/Satan" three times before zooming off.That day wasn't a day to fan the embers of my cheapskate tendencies".
I jejely respected myself and continued the journey to the cinema to pay a proper homage to this groundbreaking movie that celebrated black culture.

 Earlier on before leaving the house,I looked in my closet and  picked out the closest thing that resembled the wakandans'ensemble, I even went a little over board with my headpiece. Stares and glances from fellow movie-goers made it all worth it..
Black panther is the latest entrant of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Films and it raked in over 350 million dollars in its opening weekend. Directed by Rylan Coogler  the movie not only delivers an overwhelmingly black cast but a host of strong female characters. The stellar cast was lead by Chadwick Boseman,Michael.B.Jordan, Lupiita Nyongo' supported by Angela Bassett , Forest Whitaker amongst other brilliant actors.

The movie which had basically game of throne style dynasty struggle is centred around T'challa(Chadwick boseman) the king of wakanda as the rises to the throne after the demise of his father in the isolated technologically advanced nation excessively rich in vibranium named Wakanda.T'challa's claim to the throne is challenged by an outsider  killmonger(Michael.B.Jordan) who is bent on revenge. killmonger happened to a victim of T'challa's father's mistake.

Wakanda was portrayed as a secluded veritable Utopia, complete with a futuristic technology and a life of luxury for its residents .
The depiction of the blend of the ultra modern and yet the core traditional lend revelance to the African spiritual framework and its mythos.
While Black panther is not only a beautiful multi layered story told through the vehicle of a blockbuster movie franchise, the movie's reception and ultimately its success defy Hollywood stereotypes and created a new narrative and audiences.

The reviews are almost universally positive, although I find the accents of the Wakandans quite overwhelming almost distracting .Also the CGI(computer generated imagery) as awesome as they were I found it a tad suffocating (one would think as a marvel fan I would have  been used to it).
Since the first installment of the blackpanther was an introductory I strongly believe going forward the plots will be stronger.

Highpoints of the movie for me were the way the movie upheld the celebration of the strong  assertive black women and the resurgence of the black consciousness. This movie might be most racially empowering blockbuster ever made.
Black panther is a true hero with a good heart: strong and honourable.
In all  Black panther  is not a movie, its a moment ....a movement!
Wakanda for life!

Photo credit: google images

Comments

Omololu famro said…
Yes o wakanda for life. Trust Iya ile onkan she doesn't carry last
Omololu famro said…
Hmmmm rip boseman, legend forever!!!

Popular posts from this blog

A twist in the Tale: Baba Ifeanyi 's story

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

My Harmattan Christmas