Keeping up with the Kalakuta Museum

This year started with the resolution to step out of my comfort zone by making deliberate strides on leaving my comfort rut and meet life with some passion and fervour.
Most of the time, I'm always blissfully unaware of  places outside my  comfort zone as clearly manifested when I worked opposite the kalakuta Museum and I didn't bother crossing the road to find out what existed behind the fence. But this year I was determined to be more spontaneous. So I thought hmmm🤔... why not start with the kalakuta museum.

My taste in music is quite eclectic .From Hugh Masekela to Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran to Orlando owoh, Kendrick  Lamar to Natalie Cole and so on.
And as wide ranging as these genres are, somehow Fela's music didn't quite make the cut. I have a few of his songs that I totally love ."water no get enemy"from the  Expensive shit album will remain a favourite .So moving forward it's safe to say I'm not a huge fan. Nonetheless I was /am extremely intrigued by Fela's life and times beyond his Music.

Born Fela Ransome Kuti in 1930 to  Rev Israel Ransome kuti and Mrs Funmilayo in Abeokuta. He was raised in a politically active middle class. He studied music at the  Trinity College London and in defiant to colonialism Fela later changed his name to Fela Anikulapo (which means someone who had death in his pouch) in 1978.

Fela became the greatest multi instrumentalist, Musician  and composer to come out of Africa. He had over 50albums to his credit. He also won many laurels(even posthomously )to cement this fact. 

Regarded as Africa's original rock super star , Fela was the pioneer of the Afro beat genre.
A vehement activist lent his voice to the denouncement  of government 's oppression of the masses at often times.The maverick one married his 27 dancers and a singer in one ceremony. He was definitely an unapologetic nonconformist.
As at his time of demise in 1996 he was survived by seven children.
   

With reawakened sense of curiosity and anticipation,l set out on this oddsey of discovering Fela. Since I was "visiting" the undoubtedly pop culture icon,i thought the least I could do was to make an effort. Nooo! "THE EFFORT". Having carefully coordinated my Afro centric ensemble.Then the conflict arose! I deliberated and agonised, should I take the art a notch higher with the face painting or as a consummate /method tourist whether to get thoroughly"medicated" for  this trip (you know just to get in character ni o). 

Then the tiny voice in my head firmly persuaded me that not only  less is more but the route to the Museum from my house has more than a dozen police check points and if I didn't want a 45mins  drive to turn into a 45 hours drive I had  better swallow some wisdom capsules and respect myself.

The Kalakuta museum

The two storey building with a penthouse bar is situated on Gbemisola street in Ikeja lagos
was home to the Music legend until his death in 1997.
There is a tour guide to show you around and you are required to pay one thousand naira for the tour.
The Museum has a pyramidal shaped manosoleum where his body was interred. The museum housed several  display of his personal effects that illustrated his journey not only as a musical genius but a remarkable revolutionary spirit.
Fela 's mausoleum 

Immediately you step in  you are bound to get  this almost eerie feeling  that affirms Fela's soul is still present .You are indentured to feel his essence, eccentricity and Legacy trapped within the walls Museum.
 
  


It is really difficult to describe the overwhelming feeling knowing that the Fela once walked, lived and breathed on the these grounds. From the  way the props are collected, preserved and display undoubtedly  recreated Fela's magnificence .It was so surreal definitely bound to give you goose bumps.

The whole  edifice chronicled different aspects of Fela's life :His Music, the album covers display, instruments, family portraits, paper cuttings of his political exploits.
 His political manifestos  


Family portraits 

My highlight of the tour, was the tour of his personal space :his bedroom. The impressionistic  display of his personal items made me feel some closeness to the icon. The aura was sort of static immobility yet so vibrant and full of life as if I was transported to the life and times of Abami Eda.
Fela 's bedroom 

His shoes

This trip  not only gave me insights to the man Fela,but it made me respect his stance as a human activist, his non conformity and made me appreciate the kind of relationship he had with his family and band.

Since Fela was known for smoking Igbo in epic proportions. I know some folks will be thinking iyale ookan prolly bought some high-grade Igbo in wholesale from the souvenir shop and kept in the fridge for nightly consumption.Sorry to disappoint Y'all. The smoking (not to talk of buying and selling)  of marijuana is highly prohibited at the museum .

Fela continues to live in the hearts of many as  the transfigured truth

Comments

Glammie said…
Well written. Will be paying the museum a visit soon.
Wow! It was quite an experience.
Dayreen said…
And once again, another astounding write-up from you. I can almost say I have visited the museum myself on this account alone. Well done.
Remain inspired.
Omololu famro said…
Iyale onkan!!!! No dey carry last
Will surely visit sometime soon
Dearkayode said…
Kudos iyaleokan for going the distance to not only feed your eyes and satisfy your curiosity but to also bring the museum to those of us who were in your shoes prior to the visit. More ink to your pen madame.
Iyale-ookan said…
@dearkayode, Darren, omololu, anno11:41,anno11:40,glammie....thanks all for your kind regards... I really appreciate 😍
Mutiat Jimoh said…
Iyaleokan the tourist. Nice writeup. Really enjoyed reading this. I think I will be blessing others too by sharing this.
Nice one titi. Never knew such existed for fela. Only know of the shine

Popular posts from this blog

A twist in the Tale: Baba Ifeanyi 's story

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

My Harmattan Christmas